What is the I-9?
The employee eligibility verification, otherwise known as the I-9 process, is documentation required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, and establishes an employee's identity and eligibility to work in the United States. Pursuant to the 1986 Immigration Reform and Control Act, all U.S. employers are required to verify the identity and work eligibility of all employees hired after November 6, 1986, whether those employees are U.S. citizens or not.
What is E-verify?
E-Verify is an online, free service administered by the United States government that compares the information provided by an employee through the I-9 process with government records to verify an individual's identity. If the information matches, the employer receives verification that the employee is eligible to work in the United States. As a federal contractor, Rutgers participates in the E-Verify program. The University's E-Verify Company Identification Number/Client Company Identification Number is 319888.
As an employee, you have a responsibility to assist the University in complying with our obligations under federal immigration and employment law. Any employee who fails to complete the I-9 verification process within the prescribed time limits must be terminated according to federal law.
Who needs to complete an I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form?
- All new hires
- Class 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 employees. Class 9 employees do not require an I-9 as these employees have no employer/employee relationship and typically include Graduate and Post-Doctoral Fellows. Class 6 Teaching Assistants/Graduate Assistants do not require a background check clearance.
- If the employee is being re-hired either by your department or elsewhere in the University, please check with our staff to ensure their I-9 has remained active and no break in service has occurred. For employees who have not held continuous appointments, a new I-9 needs to be processed. Please contact to the SAS On-boarding Team for clarification.
What do you need to bring to the I-9 Appointment?
- I-9 documentation
- Signed Offer Letter/Contract - not required for Class 5 student workers
- Background Check Clearance - not required for Class 5 student workers or Class 6 TA/GA
- Completed New Hire Form
- International Payroll Form - only required for F-1 and J-1 international students and is obtained by the Global Office