Expense Management is the system at Rutgers University that will facilitate the reimbursement of expenses for Rutgers employees.
The Expense Management system is accessed through Cornerstone.
- Expense Report- an expense report is an electronic form that employees populate to submit travel and business related expenses for reimbursement Expense reports are created after expenses have been incurred and submitted for approval within Oracle Expense.
- Expense Items- an expense item is an individual line item for an expense. Users can create line items and add them to new reports or add items to an existing unsubmitted report. items must be contained on a report and then submitted in order for them to be reimbursed.
- Expense Type- The expense type is a categorization of what is being reimbursed. The expense type chosen should be specific to the expense being incurred.
- Cash Advance- A cash advance is an electronic form that employees populate to request advanced payment to cover work-related expenses. Cash advances are created before expenses have been incurred and are submitted for approval within Oracle Expense.
- Cash advances must be cleared by an expense reimburse once the traveler returns to work.
- Traveler- The role assigned to individuals who can enter and submit expense reports Individual MUST be University employees.
- Delegate- The role assigned to individuals who can enter and submit an expense report on behalf of someone else. Delegates can be defined within thee Financial Management System.
- Project Approver- The role assigned to individuals responsible for approving expense reports, and other transactions that tied to a specified project, and require approval. Each project has a single Project Approver for all transactions that require approval Individuals must be University employees.
- Finance Approver- The role assigned to individuals responsible for approving expense reports, cash advances, and other transactions that require approval. Each employee has a single Fiance Approver for all transactions that require approval. Individuals must be University employees.
The processing of reimbursement is governed by Rutgers University Policy 40.4.1.
The University will reimburse individuals for reasonable, necessary, appropriate and approved travel and business expenses incurred in the performance of university business.
Reimbursements must have a clear business connection. The expense must be ordinary and necessary and in the performance of duties as an employee.
The business expenses must be substantiated with the date, amount, place and business purpose of the expense on the receipt.
Meal Expenses- Rutgers requires that all meal reimbursements (for business meals)- SAS has limits on how much can be sent on meals. SAS Meal Policy
Delegates are used to have another person enter your expense report. SAS Guide on How to Set up a Delegate
If you are using entering your reimbursements via a spreadsheet, you must have the ADFdi (Desktop Integrator) set up on your computer. How to Set Up the ADFdi (Desktop Integrator)
Guest to the university can have their expenses reimbursed, but that MUST BE PROCESSED through the procurement (SCIQUEST) side.
Useful Policies/Forms for Expense Management-